Celebrate Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2022 with the Diamond Team
Eleven years ago, Diamond CEO Joe Devon wrote a blog post that quickly transformed into a call to arms for digital creators worldwide to play their part in making the internet a place for everyone.
Since then, Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) has grown in reach and scale and is celebrated by organizations large and small. Somewhere between 30 to 40% of Fortune 500 companies have done GAAD events. This number continues to grow.
If you’re looking for ways to celebrate GAAD 2022 this Thursday, look no further! Here are a few events at which you can catch Team Diamond.
GAAD 2022: A Conversation with the Honorable Tony Coelho, Jenny Lay-Flurrie, and Joe Devon
Time: 10 AM PT
In the 30 years since the Americans with Disability Act was signed into law, we’ve seen the emergence of networks, platforms, software, and innovations we could never have imagined in 1990. Despite progress, there’s an ever-widening digital divide. So, what is being done to ensure an all-inclusive tomorrow?
To celebrate the 11th Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD), Diamond CEO and GAAD Co-founder Joe Devon invites Tony Coelho – primary author and sponsor of the Americans with Disabilities Act – and Jenny Lay-Flurrie – Chief Accessibility Officer at Microsoft – to discuss how both the ADA and the digital landscape have evolved over the last 30 years, and what enterprise companies can do to in response.
State of Digital Accessibility: A Fireside Chat with Meryl Evans (presented by C-Hear, Inc.)
Time: 8:30 AM CT
In honor of Global Accessibility Awareness Day, the North Texas Disability Chamber is hosting a morning, intimate fireside chat with Diamond team member Meryl Evans. This event is an in-person event located at the Plano Chamber of Commerce.
a11yMTL (Montreal): “Semantics and Screen Readers”
Time: 7 PM ET
To mark Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD), Diamond team member Rocío Alvarado will present “Semantics and Screen Readers.” Get ready to celebrate GAAD by diving into some HTML! Please note: this event and presentation will be in French.
Bay Area Accessibility and Inclusive Design Meetup Group
Time: 5 PM PT
Join A11yBay and partner Meetups for an evening featuring three dynamic speakers:
- Ben Congleton: "Mistakes small business leaders make about accessibility and one CEO’s journey to fix his own"
- Diamond team member Meryl Evans: "Communicating in multiple ways"
- Chris McMeeking: "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines don't always map perfectly to native iOS and Android development."
Stay Tuned for Exclusive Premieres for GAAD 2022
We’ve partnered with some amazing organizations to create great content for GAAD 2022. Below you'll find the features that have already gone live. We'll continue to update this list in real-time.
- Comcast's Global Accessibility Awareness Day panel with GAAD Co-founders Joe Devon and Jennison Asuncion, Mike Shebanek, the Head of Accessibility at Meta, and Theresa Murzyn, the Lead User Experience Researcher for Accessibility at Comcast
- WordPress News Episode 31: Open Source & Accessibility Celebrating Global Accessibility Awareness Day with guest Joe Devon
- Kelly & Company's podcast episode on the 11th Annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day
- CNET: What the Pandemic Taught Us About Accessibility, and What Comes Next featuring Joe Devon
- Jewish Journal: Global Accessibility Awareness Day is May 19. Is Your Business Website Accessible?